The tyres on your car are one of the most important and vital safety features. They are the only part of your car that connects you to the road. So it is crucial they are kept in optimum condition with the right amount of thread. If you are unsure, there are some simple steps you can take to find out your tyre thread depth.
1. Gain access to the face of the tyre
2. Use a thread depth gauge to check the depth of the thread.
3. Place the gauge in the groove of the tyre and note the reading.
TIP: The legal limit is 1.6mm. If the reading is lower, your tyres are illegal and will require changing immediatly!
4. If you do not have a thread depth gauge, you can use a €1 coin.
5. The outer brass band measures 2mm. If the groove does not cover this brass area, your tyres are below the legal limit.
6. Check for any bulges or cuts in your tyres.