A benefit in kind is any non-cash benefit of monetary value that an employer provides for their employee. These benefits are usually known as notional pay, fringe benefits or indeed perks. These benefits have monetary value and must therefore be treated as taxable income (www.Revenue.ie).
Well, employers must deduct Pay As You Earn (PAYE), Pay Related Social Insurance (PRSI) and Universal Social Charge (USC) from their employee’s pay on the value of this benefit. When it comes to providing a working vehicle to an employee, a conventional company vehicle can attract up to 30% of the full retail price in Employee Gross Taxes. However, from 1 January 2018, no taxable benefit will arise for an employee or a director, where an employer provides an employee or director with an electric car or van (www.Budget.gov.ie). That means you get taxed less for providing an employee with an Electric Vehicle from 1 January 2018 (to 2021). Indeed you could stand to gain up to €4000+ in your first year of purchase!
1. Employers can offer EV’s as a benefit to employees without attracting Employer PRSI.
2. Employees will benefit from no net pay deductions when provided with a EV Company Car.
3. Effectively an employee can benefit from free fuel from their employer due to the provision of electricity through company owned charge points, which does not give rise to a taxable benefit for the employee or director from 1 January 2018.
4. No BIK will be incurred on employees charging EVs at work – whether company owned or not.
5. Note that 0% BIK is not available on Hybrid or Plug-In Hybrid EV.
If you have more questions about how you or your company can gain from providing a 0% (BIK) electric vehicle to employees then do visit or contact us.
Across our Natiowide Nissan Dealerships we stock the Nissan LEAF, Nissan's EV Passenger Car and the eNV200, their fully electric version of the versatile NV200. While in our Renault Dealerships located in Galway and Airside, Swords, we stock the Renault ZOE and Renault Twizy.
The Nissan LEAF is Ireland's Best-Selling Electric Vehicle. In 2017 there were 257 Nissan LEAFs sold in Ireland. In 2018 that number skyrocketed to 789 units sold, an increase of 207%. Of that impressive number, more than 75% of LEAFs in Ireland were sold by Windsor Nissan dealerships – making Windsor the #1 seller for Electric Vehicles in Ireland in 2018.